Monday, June 3, 2019

Epic RV Trip -- Montgomery, AL

**SUN  6/2  Drive a short 158 miles to Montgomery, AL

Chris is enjoying his time with Addisyn in the front... explaining and teaching all kids of random things that come up.

Today we pulled over on the side of a Alabama state highway due to vomit (1st one of the trip).  We were merrily rolling along when Marissa somewhat suddenly told me her really tummy hurt.  The way she said it made me concerned so I offered the potty but she shook her head no.  She repeated it really hurt, and before I had time to think, I was catching vomit with her dress and the towel we use over the benches at the table.  Thank goodness for for that towel!  So I took her back to the bathroom and Chris pulled over on the shoulder; we were on a 2-lane highway and there were driveways, not sure if they are business or residential.  I got Marissa in the shower and bagged up the nasty clothes.  Chris put the dirty bag in the outside compartment so we wouldn't be smelling it inside.  Well, when he gets back inside the girls are looking out the front window and tell him "There's a man with a gun outside."  What!?   It seems the resident came out to the front yard to "greet" us.  And Chris recognized the AR-15 with a 30 round magazine he was holding.  He waved hi, and there seemed to be no threat, but we left as quickly as possible!

Chris selected a campsite back row on the lake and we saw a family of geese living there.


**MON 6/3 Montgomery, AL.  The Pepper Spray Incident. Sightseeing. Meeting Chris' classmate. Swimming!

Pepper spray incident:  Karen saw a beautiful path around a lake to run, but not knowing what area we were in, thought maybe taking the pepper spray with would be a good idea... That burned!  so glad it wasn't directly in my eyes... I was just making sure it was well in its fabric holster before I walked out so that I wouldn't drop it while running.  but oops, pressed on the wrong side.  Then I stepped forward into the invisible cloud of mist when checking out the red on the bedroom door and ceiling I had accidentally just sprayed.  Chris quickly got me in the bathroom to wash my eyes out in the shower.  He also thankfully thought to air out the MH with the exhaust fans.   Piper heard me yelping right outside her bed and woke up just enough to mumble what's going on, but I was far too distracted to answer the half-asleep child.   I put milk on my face, then washed with soap and water.  The outside of my nose was really burning!  It must have gotten in my nostrils too... I tried to get it out without blowing my nose to avoid the contaminated air going in my throat... I could taste it a tad, but was careful not to do that much.  A half hour later, Piper had fallen back asleep and I went on my run (without the bottle). It was a lovely run and I was glad for a nice place to exercise.

Schoolwork: bribing kids to focus so we can go swim later...

Sightseeing:  We went to the capitol and were surprised there were so few cars and tons of parking available.  Apparently all state of Alabama government offices are closed today in honor of Jefferson's bday.  Well, in our heads, we assumed that meant Thomas Jefferson and wouldn't it be nice if we got that holiday too, but in reality (I had to look this up later) it is the birthday of Jefferson Davis, who in 1861 was inaugurated President of the C.S.A. (The Provisional Government of the) Confederate States of America.  This was a great place for a mini history lesson.







The main reason we came to Montgomery was to see where Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat and where the bus boycott began in 1955.  The actual bus stop had been moved from outdoors to inside the museum a block away.  The museum did a nice job of portraying the scene on screens in the bus windows while we stood outside presumable waiting for our bus.  They also took us back in time to understand the era, and there was a nice educational area upstairs where the kids did the student scavenger hunt for educational groups (we turn these in for homeschool credit too). 
We learned that she had just come from a conference on racial equity where she had the unique experience of being treated as an equal, and so I'm sure she had a renewed passion for standing up for right.  She is often quoted as saying, "You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right."  That is why she was unafraid of her peaceful resistance.  She was not the first person arrested for refusing to give up her seat on a bus; it must have been because of her position in the NAACP that this was the time that got more attention.  The MIA (Montgomery Improvement Association) was formed and an organized boycott on the bus system was organized.  My kids learned the word boycott means to avoid or refuse something.


 



After that, we drove by MLK's home where he raised his family.  What came first? Dexter street, church, or his son's name?



Lastly, we stopped at the MOOseum--we just couldn't resist with a fun name like that!  It was free admission, and hosted by the Cattleman's Association--educating others on the importance of cattle must be part of their mission. We were surprised at all the things made from cow--gelatin, crayons, glue, baseballs, gum, washer fluid, makeup, and more. Our visit was brief and we bought "cow tails" candy at the gift shop on our way out.


Chris arranged to meet up with Brianne, his classmate in his PhD program, who happens to live here.  We went to her house and then swimming at the local pool with her kids of similar ages.  She was a well prepared and kind hostess for our short visit.  She had Alabama sausage for us to try, called Conecuh--if you are ever there, get some--so good!

Dreamland BBQ and math lessons at dinner.





1 comment:

Mom said...

Sounds like Marissa recovered quick. Aren't you glad you had the RV to travel in? Imagine if you were in Jeep or SUV and had that mess. That would be a yuck.

it is so neat that you can tie some of your activities into school work. Bet the girls will be glad when the school year is over though. You too!

A bit concerned Karen can carry pepper spray and not know where the trigger is...that was one big oops, amazing you still felt up to running. I hope you carry your cell phone in case you get lost. BE SAFE!

Love you all!