Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Marissa Potty Training


Marissa had expressed interest in the toilet and wearing underwear, and had even peed on the potty before, but had never tried more than a random hour or two at a time before switching back to a diaper.

I was having trouble finding a good time where we could work on potty training all day.  Between my working part time, and errands, and napping right after picking up sisters at 2pm, I finally realized there's no use waiting for the "right time", so one Wednesday morning when I didn't have to go to the store, I decided this would be as good as we could do.  So after getting sisters to school, we came home and I took her diaper off...

9am on September 16th was "THE moment" that changed everything!

Still tired and in her jammies top, she wanted a diaper.  After a 20 min crying fit on the floor because I wouldn't put a diaper on her, I was on the phone with Chris nearing my wits-end deciding whether to give in, when (miraculously in my eyes) she found a  pair of panties on the living room floor, stopped crying, and started putting them on all by herself.  She contently wore them and used her little potty for 3 hours that day.  

And she wore undies for another 3 hours the next day.  I switched her to a diaper around noon b/c she was getting tired and I didn't want to push her too hard before nap.  Every day undies became the new norm and she hasn't had another fit like that again.  She learned how to hold her pee-pee; our mantra is "body to the potty" and she has had limited accidents.  Making a BM while seated is challenge #2, but we are very proud of her success so far.

Cousin Jacob and Marissa in their matching "PawPatrol" undies.

No comments: