Saturday, September 19, 2015

Synchronized Swimming--end of season July 2015



We used 55 bobby pins and 5 packets of Knox gelatin to do our hair for the water show. [This was
Karen's first time "knoxing" so I figure I'm an official synchro swimmer now ;-)]  Between final practices and dress rehearsal, I figure Addisyn and Piper spent about 10 hours at the pool in two days.  Adding in set-up and clean-up to that, Karen spent 16 hours and could barely drive home with painful bloodshot eyes (from the sun and swimming without goggles).  But it was and AWESOME show!

Our coaches did a great job planning the music and story line.  Team parents did a great job finding and setting up a stage backdrop and props.  It is pretty impressive transforming a concrete pool deck with chain link fence into a beautiful stage presence.  The theme was "Legends and Lore" which gave ample options for fun upbeat songs and cool costuming.


The big opening number was a combo routine from Disney's "Hercules."  The masters team started out as the "Muses" on deck wearing sarongs, while the novice girls did a new routine learned just for this show.  Then Addisyn and Piper and I got to do a short trio for a few measures of 8 before they swam "off-stage," and I continued with a masters team routine, followed by intermediate girls and the age group team.

Good Smile Addisyn!
Mermaids
Each team got to perform their routine from the season, incorporated into the show script.  For the finale, every group performed a lap across the pool to the pop song "Hot, Hot, Hot" by Buster Poindexter.

The July 25th Water Show marked the girls' last performance with the team since they had already made the decision to not swim with the team next year.  (They loved it, but it was hard work, and they are opting to try new things next year.)  I think they enjoyed being part of the team this year and this was a great culminating event.  I on the other hand, was struggling emotionally as it felt like the end of the season yet I still had the Riverside Masters meet in August to attend, and I was trying to figure out if I would swim next year or not.  (I think swimming on a team keeps me exercising regularly which helps me mentally handle day-to-day stress and I enjoy it, but I have to make sure my kids are getting the care and attention they need, and our family is getting to the age where school and the logistics and getting people to various events and practices is strategic and I don't know if I will have the time.  *breathe*)

Masters Routine Ending (Karen on far right)

I am proud of Addisyn and Piper's gains in swimming strength this year.  One summer ago, they were still taking swim lessons while doing the team's summer program and they could barely make one lap across the pool without stopping.  By November they were able to swim 40-some laps at swim-a-thon, and have since learned how to egg-beater and perform a routine while treading water. It is nice as a parent being confident sending them to a pool party now.  I also understand how hard it is to be slowest person on your team.  (I was the slowest person on my team all four years of college; I frequently questioned myself for being there and wanted to quit several times, but am glad I didn't because it helped be develop character, perseverance, and work ethic that have been invaluable skills in my life since then.)  I know they got frustrated at practice when it seemed everyone else could do a skill better or faster than them, and they had to work hard at practices to keep up.  I am not pushing them to pursue any one sport at this age and we are excited to see them learn new skills in whatever sports/activities they try next.












We made new friends this year too.  In particular, the girls got along great with AutumnGlenn, who they performed with and was also brand new to this sport, and is about a 1/2 year younger than Piper.  It was cute watching the littlest girls perform at meets and shows.



I was especially touched by my masters teammates Janice, Pam, Dani, and Chelsea.  Each of these ladies exemplifies grace and calm despite their various inner struggles or home situations, which I admire. Not only do they help me with swimming, knowing them helps me have perspective on my own life circumstances.






By the time of the annual awards banquet post-summer, I'd mentally committed to swimming another season (so I wouldn't have to cry over the decision anymore).  I celebrated the season with the other novice moms, my masters teammates, and coaches.  All swimmers had a turn at the podium to give her secret swimmer a fun gift.  It is remarkable how the girls have poise and confidence at the microphone because of their comfort level with each other and because of their experience performing for a crowd.  I am proud of them.










It was fun sharing this year of swimming with my girls.

No comments: