The first day of school was Thursday, August 20th. I love starting school on a Thursday--it helps easing into the school routine so much easier. The girls go their hair cut and styled (braided) at the kids hair salon the day before. They got new shoes over the summer and new lunchboxes. Piper was a little jealous to not have a new backpack, but hers is still in good condition. Addisyn wanted a backpack with "lots of pockets."
Piper is in 1st Grade with Mrs. Semik in Room 22. She is #15. Piper is proud to earn a "Peace Bear" every day for good behavior and is collecting and gluing them in a little book. I am signed up to volunteer in Piper's classroom on Mondays that I don't get a sub job.
*********************************************************************
Piper staying active in gymnastics and soccer this year. We missed AYSO sign ups, but found an after school soccer clinic she is excited about. We will sign her up for a team next fall.In gymnastics, Piper is continuing intermediate level at the YMCA. It is fun to watch her do half cartwheels on the balance beam or play bean bag catch with a partner on the balance beam



Yoga and TaeKwonDo might seem like a contrary combination, but Addisyn is enjoying both.
Yoga lets her get flexibility and strength in a manner that matches her personality for an hour after school once a week. TKD is more intense--I think Addisyn has a love-hate relationship with it. Master Taylor drew us in with his interpersonal skills, and he adapts the rigor of his classes to various intensities depending on the skills/belt color and personalities of the students in each class. Confidence and respect are core values he emphasizes. I love seeing her push herself in class and "kia" strongly. She has a high rising kick--to face level and is working on her round house kick, and memorizing all her blocks. She tested and earned her Yellow Belt on Aug 13. I was surprised at how it was done, but pleased with how he asked kids to look within themselves whenever they asked if they passed--"How do you think you did?" and "Did you do your best?" were his common responses. I realized that kids get so hung up on letting someone else judge them, that they don't do it for themselves.
She participated in her first sparring tournament on October 17 as a yellow belt. I don't think she was as prepared as we would prefer, but hey, in life you just do your best and go on, right? It was some of the most intensity I've ever seen out of her. She wasn't getting as many kicks and punches as the other girl, but I was full with pride that she persisted despite great frustration.
*********************************************************************
School may be starting but we are still enjoying our summer beach camping. This is why it is great living in San Diego! Addisyn and Piper took me for a walk down to the jetty one afternoon while Marissa was napping in the motorhome.







No comments:
Post a Comment