**SUN 7/7 DRIVE DAY into Canada 535km (333mi)
After hugs and kisses, we are off again. We drove through Maine up to the coast of New Brunswick and the Bay of Fundy. Trying to stay by the coast, we were off the interstate, and state route 9 took us over some mountains. Brake check. We are good. But the mountain road got Marissa's tummy; thankfully this time it was easy--vomit in the toilet.
There was no line at the Canadian Border. We had used all our firewood, counted the beers to be under the limit, and didn't pack any firearms, but we didn't know pepper spray isn't allowed either. Funny, we bought some just for this trip. That's okay, the kids laughed when I said I was glad they took it...so I won't spray myself again (*ha!). We are now in the Atlantic Time Zone, 4 hours ahead of California. The kids were a great help cleaning the house at the last gas station before the border.
Our campground has everything posted in both French and English. It's fun trying to read the French words. We parked in camp and walked across the street to see the Bay of Fundy.
We are out of food, well at least anything dinner worthy; no one wanted microwaved dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets, top ramen, or cereal for dinner, so we went out. We found a place in St. George. Karen ate Fish & Chips, all seafood on their menu locally sourced from Bay of Fundy.
Over the last few years, we've been collecting tid bits of ideas for places to go and I picked this location because I had a yellow star on my google map I placed there because St. George falls was supposed to be such an amazing sight to see. What we found was a pretty fall, out of the dam with chain link fence around it. Glad we didn't drive too far out of our way. We wanted to show the kids a fish ladder, and there was one here but being so late in the day the fish weren't really jumping up. At least now the kids have at least seen a fish ladder. (I actually think Marissa was visualizing a construction ladder until now.)
I actually feel like we didn't take advantage of this cute provincial park campground and am a little sad leaving so quickly, but I'm not sad leaving the mosquitoes.
**MON 7/8 Drive 386 km (240 mi) to Prince Edward Island
P.E.I. puts us at our furthest point from home for the entire trip (as a crow flies). We've driven 7,496 miles. We put on our stickers on the map and now I can't believe we are on the count DOWN now instead of the count UP! We only have 7 states and 2 provinces to hit on our way back home.
Today's roadside attraction is Magnetic Hill -- a unique experience, even if we didn't really feel fooled going "uphill" backwards, but we did it again facing fwd and it looked more dramatic.
We stopped for gas and groceries. We paid 124.9/liter and did some math to convert liters to gallons and adjust for the exchange rate; we figure it costs about what it does in California, the most we've paid for gas the whole trip.
In order to check Nova Scotia off our list, we found a small park just south of the bridge to Prince Edward Island. We thought we ride bikes or skip some rocks, but there's too much still water and mosquitoes. So much beauty of Nova Scotia we'll have to explore another time.
No comments:
Post a Comment