Thinking about fresh starts after new year's, I decided to try a new strategy on getting kids to eat better. This strategy involves positive reinforcement and the first week started easier than I expected. Week 1 involved 2 bites/spoons of the served veggie to get a small treat for desert--a cookie or small scoop of ice cream or a bit of M&M's or marshmallows. At the end of the week I told them next week the servings would be larger and they got input on which veggies would be served.
Veggies this week: carrots, peas, raw spinich, green beans, sauteed spinich (in butter), mixed veggies (no one tried this since they also had Butter beans as a choice). I'm working on finding new choices and mixing up the color on their plates since they tend to be awfully white/bland colored. I hope to open their eyes to new flavors and cooking methods, and get some healthy fiber and minerals into their growing bodies.
I wish I had the stamina to continue the experiment longer than two weeks, but I'm glad for the effort we did.
No comments:
Post a Comment