Monday, January 8, 2018

New Year 2018


I've tried to make resolutions about values and character, not specific behaviors.  The last few years I resolved to live in the moment and practice gratitude.  I also have behaviors I want to work on, but that's more of a fresh start thing, not a "resolution".  So what makes for a good resolution?  Resolve is a decision to solve a problem, an expression of intention and determination to find resolution. 

This year I resolve to figure out to how "go" through life rather than just "get" through it.  I realized that I have let life take control of me so I feel like I don't have control over the things I have to do. 

Light bulb #1:  Take a PROACTIVE mindset, not REACTIVE.  According to Steven Covey's "7 Habits for Teenagers", PROACTIVE thinkers base decisions on preset values, whereas REACTIVE thinkers just respond to immediate stimuli.  I realized I was reacting in frustration to the fact that I was washing dishes for the 3rd time in a day, so maybe if I have a plan to make it less cumbersome (get kids involved, scheduling chores...) and remember why I am lucky to have dishes to wash, then I can feel more in control of my situation.

Light Bulb #2: take initiative when it's important/worthy.  

Examples: Making running a household happier; Recognize the value of my working part-time; putting my marriage on priority; prioritizing and teaching my kids the values that matter (including honesty, persistence, resilience, committment, interpersonal relationships, ...)

My new "restarts" this year: 
-running
-initiating activities
-family eating healthier

The kids enjoyed blanket night at the Gulls game.  




Another Girl Scout cookie season starting.  What's your favorite flavor?



squeezed in

Addisyn sewing bowl hot pads, from a kit Aunt Debi sent her. 

No comments: