Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Marissa at 3-4 months

Marissa is now FOUR months old.

She is such a good and happy baby.  She adapts to the older kids' schedules, eating and sleeping or waking as needed.  Even if she's crying, she tries to smile through the tears when we try to make her happy.


STATS at 4 months and 4 days old:
Weight: 12 lbs 15 oz (22%ile)
Height: 24.5" (48%ile)
Head Circumference: 15.75" (31%ile), growth of 3/4" in two months

During these last two months, Marissa has gained about 2.5 lbs and grown 2 inches.  She is healthy and beautiful, inside and out.

Physically, Marissa is getting stronger, able to hold her head up at a 90-degrees for a minute and she has no head lag when pulling her arms from a laying to sitting position.  She stands lock-kneed when held up and loves stretching out.  She is learning how to use her hands, scooping up toys placed on her chest and grabbing toys dangled at her hands.  She just discovered that she can make the bouncy seat bounce by throwing her arms or her legs up and down, and she loves that.  She still has to be in a good mood to do tummy time, but we are finding strategic moments, like on the changing table after a diaper change (she LOVES the changing table), with a bolster under her chest with some books, or on my legs while I do sit-ups.

Sleep:  In March we decided that mommy and daddy don't want to be woken up so much anymore, so we began employing a few sleep training tactics.  We (*I*) eliminated her waking up twice at night by denying a feeding the second time, rather giving her the pacifier or a snuggle.  We got really excited at the end of the month when she slept 10-12 hours a night five nights in a row, but now it's hit or miss (more often miss) on whether she sleeps through or not.  I've also phased out swaddling; after several weeks of one-arm out swaddling, she was getting out, so I just stopped completely and she seems to be fine with it. The nice part is that she goes to sleep on her own.  I just lay her down awake in her crib, play the mobile music if I feel like it, and leave her.  She goes to sleep within 2-10 minutes.  The hard part is setting down such a warm, sweet, snuggly soft baby.  Whether in her carseat or crib, she usually naps about 3 times per day.


Socially, Marissa loves being held, and prefers to not be left in a room alone when awake.  She may be my little mama's girl, settling down for me but not others (sorry grandma's, not my choice!).  Marissa enjoys peek-a-boo, her mobile, looking in the mirror, bath time, and baby biceps (me lifting and lowering her in a bicep curl).  She really enjoys it when her big sisters bounce her and dance for her.  She likes daddy making faces and wiggling her on his lap.  She will smile and giggle for anyone who smiles and high-pitch baby talks to her.  :-)

Being held is good for preventing flat head, but not so good for my back and shoulder muscles, which are stiff and pinching nerves.  I need to get into a new gym routine rather than snacking which is too easy a thing to do one-handed.  The front pack baby carriers are helpful; she likes facing out in the baby carrier so she can see everything going on around her.


One way Marissa self-soothes is sucking on her fingers. Or thumb. Or wrist.  She seems to like her first two fingers the most, but this little "baracudda" put a hicky on her wrist the other day!  I put wrist rattles on her to protect her wrists now.




Our smiley girl also likes a nice warm bath.  Bath time is a fun time!  She will wiggle and flail her arms and legs in excitement.  I can splash her and spray her face (briefly),  and she is okay with that.  She is just starting to use her hands to reach for water poured or sprayed in front of her.  I hope she doesn't outgrow her baby bathtub too soon.






2 comments:

MOM said...

She is so sweet, even if she prefers her mommy to anyone.

marcy said...

Just realized I have some catching up to do, I haven't read your blog since I got the new computer at Christmas time!