Thursday, August 30, 2012

First week of school / Addisyn started Kindergarten!

The girls started back to school last week.  Piper is in Ms. Vicci's M-T-W 3-yr olds preschool class (same teacher Addisyn had) at Foothills preschool.  Addisyn is in Mrs. Fine's kindergarten class at Fuerte Elementary.

I didn't worry about Piper too much.  Although she did try holding back tears one day this week, which threw me off, I think that was more about not being with her sister. 

Piper really wants to go to "elementary school".
Day 1--she was happy.  What did you do today?  "I don't know.  Play"--Piper
Day 2--she didn't want to go...wanted to go to "elementary school" --I think she misses being with her sister
Day 3 (Wed)--holding back tears at drop off (WHAT!?)
This week after school Wed (Day 6, and last day of her school week)--"I want to go to school tomorrow"


I don't what I expected with Addisyn.  She has been eager for kindergarten, after it was talked-up in preschool last year; she waved to "her school" nearly every day all summer.  The days are long and it wears her out, but she is happy and well-behaved at school.  That means she is worn out and acts it when I pick her up at 2:00 in the afternoon. 
At kindergarten orientation, Addisyn found her desk with her name on it.  We were happy to get a feel for the surroundings before the first big day.  I was more emotional than expected that day (but I'm blaming pregnancy hormones). 
The first real day went well.  These are the morning drop-off pictures.  At pick up, we had a one or two tears leak from our eyes--Addisyn came to me and buried her head in my chest for a whole minute, then (we both) recovered.  Everything is good now at school, and Addisyn is earning blue "awesome" cards daily for excellent behavior.  Blue is better than a green "good" card. She is proud of them and says she will try to get five in a row this week!  At school they are learning rules and friends' names. 

Some things Addisyn has said so far: 
"I have friends, but I don't know their names" --day 2

"I helped a friend...I don't know her name and I poked her straw in her Capri Sun and didn't splash"


"I have a friend Maddelyn."  Great! Is she nice?...What does she look like?  "I don't remember...oh she has a flower dress."  I hope she recognizes her tomorrow:-)  "Can she come over to our house for a play date?" --day 4

Addisyn introduced me to her friend Maddelyn at pick up today (day 6).  It's nice to meet you Maddelyn.  "Can she come over for a play date today?"  I tried to hang around a couple minutes in case I could meet her mom, but we had to leave, and I think Maddelyn tried to follow us when we were leaving. We will give her an invitation to Addisyn's birthday party.

Addisyn knows school rules: "when the whistle blows on the playground, you stop and put your hands on your head."  "walk, don't run" "raise your hand"  Their vocab word during social studies this week was "rules" and they also learned the benefits of sharing and taking turns.


Hopefully we'll get our morning routine to be less stressful before/at "Go-time."  Addisyn must be my daughter--I remember being the slow one in the mornings as a kid.  We've been pushing it time-wise but have made it on time every day so far.  How come they get there early when daddy is around?  Yay daddy!


Addisyn and Piper each tell me about the books the teacher reads and have no problem sharing about their day, given the right questions as prompts.

Happy first days of school everyone!

No comments: