late April ...
Good news, the DOW is up 25% from the low a month ago on March 23. Maybe the economy will be okay after all. Business are running ads and sending emails that say things like "During these challenging times" or "Unprecedented times" to keep consumers aware that they are open, albeit with modified practices. The hard part is that some businesses can't survive this way. "Essential" businesses can stay open and others are essentially shuttered. Our question is: What determines if a business is "essential"? It feels like “essential" businesses is an arbitrary (unfair) selection. And it doesn't seem fair that a business (like Home Depot or Target for example) that has essential elements gets to profit from its non-essential side too... yes they should do it, they're already open, but sucks for the business that is not essential and is shut down completely. Or the fact that some stores have to close but others have lines of people inside-- I waited inside Joann's to get fabric cut for a project... they are doing online orders and cut their store hours, but employees are working long hours cutting fabric for all the crafters (killing time while quarantined at home) and mask-makers (the only way to supply the mask demand right now).
Federal Government set guidelines for opening the economy in three tiers. Local areas must meet quantitative reductions in number of cases before opening each tier. City of SD opened up some parks and beaches this week which is very exciting (with the disclaimer that they can only stay open if people follow the rules).
Home gym...ran this week and did a home gym workout... the cooler became my bench press... gotta keep my arms and shoulders strong so I don't get hurt when we go back to the pool. Our swim practices are stretching only, so a lot of the benefits I used to get I have to do on my own... hard to motivate to work out alone with no accountability.
Zoom reflection--I don't feel like I can talk on them so feels very distant to me... maybe better in small group?
Chris hip & ankle hurt, psoriosis ... not something we usually talk about, but he's been off the immune suppression medication because of COVID-19 so he's in more pain. taking morning walks when he can, sitting in the jacuzzi helps.
Unless this war becomes visible to us we don’t understand why we’re making all these sacrifices. We need to see and understand what this trade off is. We need nurses to tell us how awful their work shift was on the Covid floor. We need our friends to tell us all the people they know who have been hurt by the disease. I think until we tell everybody who’s getting stir crazy and going bankrupt will we understand that this was a worthy trade off.
People are reaching “Quarantine Fatigue"
The huge debate is over stay at home orders for our safety, vrs. personal rights and open economy .
Cell phone GPS tracking... tracking data says we are on the move more often, further from home, and for longer durations of time. 1, Why are we surprised or offended that they have this data?--we let them track us in our privacy settings...and it's how we get that awesome live traffic info from google maps. 2, They are spinning the data to make it seem like we are "cheating" quarantine, when we are trying to get things we've put off bc we are in quarantine, and it does not account for car travel in your family group.
Quarantine shopping-- I noticed my shopping habits are changed, although probably won't be permanent. I've been able to wait a week and a half between grocery trips, went a month between Costco trips, and 3 weeks between Target trips. I am doing well by not going out as often, but when I do, I find that I am more focused on getting stuff and getting out, than being a savvy shopper comparing items or prices. I have grabbed things simply because it's available or because I don't have the mental energy to think about it. I don't worry about cost as much, as long as I can get it and get out. Hopefully the trade-off cost is a wash. As for online shopping, I've been good until this week. I know some people have been shopping from their computers a lot, but I, again, saved up and went on a shopping spree all at once. I think I put in 6 online delivery orders for what could be considered "non-essentials" this week. Bathing suits, shoes, RV supplies... and Chris ordered pool toys from Amazon app on his phone while poolside watching the kids swim.
April 28-29 "Tier three could take months... " What!? This is the news we hear from our California Governor. More public protests are looming...
Our Governor wants to use "science" to make his decisions. They want to use the number data to "flatten the curve" before allowing us out. Well our numbers are dramatically lower than initial projections (so t's like trying to improve your 3.9 GPA--it's hard to move the numbers when there's not much to work with). Can we build herd immunity if we don’t go out?
Doctors from California Bakersfield are arguing the local numbers. Maybe we should re-open. Does it make sense or are they pumping numbers to benefit them because they want to re-open their business. Gotta wonder what’s best. I don’t want to believe the doctors just because we have Quarantine fatigue. But I do emphatically disagree with businesses being shut down completely.
Finally they are talking about the food supply issue in the news... Farmers don't have restaurants to sell to, and they don't have the packaging facilities to send product to grocers, and if they give it away to food banks the supply and demand ratio drops prices which isn't sustainable, or the government could buy it but they would let it spoil too. Farmers have to figure out what they are going to plant next ... don't want to spend time and money on a crop that they can't sell, so they are an essential industry that needs better information from the government. Meat packers ordered to stay open by federal govt.
I'm reading 1984--I picked it up this week because I feel like the elements of misinformation and government control were relevant. I am not disappointed in my book choice.
Today I felt frustrated and tired. Kids not staying on task, kids being noisy, I went out to the back patio with my book just to get away so they wouldn't "need" me. I fell asleep in the hammock. Kids avoiding work, fighting, hitting, sneaking YouTube on the computers. I took trash bags to two kids' rooms tonight. I'm figuring out how to "fix" what's frustrating me.
Time is flying. One of the kids thought we were still in March. What started as a few weeks, is now on a month and a half.
April 30 -- running. I'm getting my body back. Putting on the wedding dress this weekend has motivated me. I had celery with PB and raisins for lunch/snack several times this week. I'm not drinking more than one Dr. Pepper per day. I feel better. I'm pushing myself more on running (I actually called it "running" instead of "jogging"). When I am standing around in the kitchen getting temped to eat, I try to do pushups at the counter or go outside for some lunges or jump rope. I ran over 3 miles both times this week and even did the "Rolling Hills" route today so I am proud of myself.
For today's alternative education, the kids disected my old laptop today. They unscrewed and pried open/off pieces and then took it outside to jump on the remains and took a hammer to the screen. They had FUN and hopefully learned a tad about product construction (deconstruction), and what hides beneath the keys.
Bioluminescence -- drove out to beach at 8pm . people were social distancing. saw blue waves. up late, but avoiding wknd and Friday is an easy school day and we can sleep in
ASL--Marissa took a few ASL classes through "Outschool.com" She is very excited about it so we have to find ways to practice. I oopsied and signed M up for a class at the same time as her Thursday writing small group so I have to decide whether to continue it. [P.S. her small group day changed so it all works out]. I like the teacher and the class and M certainly did better the second day interacting I think because she felt more comfortable with the group (zoom class with just a handful of kids so they get lots of attention). She can sign: please, thank you, mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, more, quiet, loud, headache, hurt, done/finished, good bad, child, baby, I love you, numbers 0-10, alphabet, some animals, happy excited, sleep, ...
Early May...
May 1-2 -- Chris back to work in the office part-time. I had to set my alarm clock for the first time so I could run/exercise before Chris leaves all day. I have to plan my shopping trips for days he is home now.
It is fun getting surprises at the door... It's like a cross between "doorbell ditching" and Christmas! We got lemonade from Torres family, Paper towels from Mulders and Yolanda and Hermine, GS mtg supplies from Grunstads, and Amazon deliveries. I am so feeling the LOVE! Paper towels and sweet treats delivered this week. We are blessed with kind friends, neighbors, and family!!!
Funny memes on masking...
No comments:
Post a Comment