After a wonderful maternity leave where I got to enjoy baby time and volunteer at the elementary school, I made the very tough decision to resign from my position at Steele Canyon High School this year. I was there for nearly 10 years! I love being in the classroom, but I just couldn't give teaching (and the planning and grading that goes with it) and being a good mommy & wife my 110% all the time. In order to maintain my mental sanity and professional presence, I decided substitute teaching might fit the bill. I can work just days I want, take vacations without guilt, and be fully present with my own children after school hours.
So after consulting with Chris' schedule and grammy's, I applied to substitute. I got hired to work for Cajon Valley school district in March, and waited for GUHSD to open their application period. So this spring, I worked one day/week. Chris committed to most Fridays to take the girls to school and grammy's in the morning on the way to work, and after some carseat fenagaling and car swapping, and my parents in the mix too, we figured it out.
With only ever having taught high school grades until now, I jumped into elementary school, taking whatever job the computerized sub system offered me, luckily only having to take a 4:30am phone call once. I have now been in nearly every grade level: 8th, 4th, 1st, 3rd, aided in 6th & 7th, and taught PE to K and 2nd. I see myself as stretching my wings out and growing as a teacher as I am tested in each new situation. Keeping 20-30 elementary kids in their seats is certainly a challenge! Subbing is a tough in that you have to develop a relationship with the kids in just 5-10 minutes, so that they will behave for you the rest of the day. It was interesting, but definitely felt my comfort level with the upper grades.
I did get hired for GUHSD next year, so I am excited to try to just work middle schools and high schools next year.
1 comment:
Congratulations on getting hired by Grossmont district, I didn't know that happened. You may find being in elementary more fun...Dad had some pretty bad experiences when subbing at the high school level. Turned him off to going back to teaching at all.
Post a Comment