Saturday, November 19, 2016

Musical Cars

Now that we have a MH, and the Jeep is the new weekend car, the truck was sitting for long periods of time unused.  The mice saw it sitting too long and took shelter (luckily we noticed their evidence (droppings) before they could do too much damage), so we decided one less engine to maintain would be ideal.

We had to trade 2 cars for 1.  We sold the minivan to Grammy Susan so she now has enough seats for all her grandkids, sold the truck private sale, and Karen found an SUV large enough to tow our enclosed trailer that I am comfortable with being my family car/daily driver.

After shopping and test driving, I decided the Toyota Sequoia was going to be more comfortable than the truck feel of the Ford Expedition or Chevy Yukon.  It has softer/cushier seats.  Unfortunately the gas mileage is terrible, but I love having the spacious seating and carpool capability.  The kids had to get used to the large swing doors rather than the minivan sliders they were used to.

 

I found just the right car right here in El Cajon at the Toyota dealer certified 1-year used.  I took it for a test drive and liked it, but I didn't act quick enough and someone else bought it that afternoon.  So I continued my internet search and a few days later found the same model, year, color, and similar mileage for a better price, but it was in Livermore (near Sacramento).  I wasn't impressed with the salesman, but I knew what I wanted and he seemed honest with me.  We discussed the features and cleanliness on the phone and he sent me more pictures.  He and another salesperson did a "sniff-test" for me to make sure it hadn't been smoked in, then we finalized the price and I grabbed a flight north the next morning.  I knew there was a small chance I might have to fly standby to get home if things didn't work out, but he promised not to sell it to someone else while I was on my way, and while the paperwork wasn't fast, I was able to get off the lot by 4pm which was my personal deadline to be home by midnight.  I made ONE quick stop for gas, food/caffeine, and restroom, then ate on the road (I packed a towel and grabbed lots of napkins so I wouldn't get it too dirty!) and got home about 11:57pm.  The dark picture in the garage (which it just barely fits in) was taken at midnight.

The Sequoia we bought in October, and sold van to Susan at the same time.  The F350 was sold in November.





No comments: