Friday, September 2, 2016

First Days of School 2017





School started on Thursday, August 18 this year.  Addisyn and Piper in 4th and 2nd grade at Fuerte, and Marissa started preschool at Foothills.  I love school starting on a Thursday!  A short week gives us time to adjust and not be too worn out on first week back.

We held our traditional back to school party the week prior. Addisyn and Piper got new lunchboxes, pencils, clothes, shoes....  Since we walk to school, we also got them new backpacks with wheels to help with the weight of the chromebooks that get issued to each student.

The whole family walked to school together on the first day (daddy with camera).


PIPER started 2nd grade with Miss Roach in room 26.  Piper says, "Our first day of school was fun/good."  "She let us do a Kids Bop song" in the classroom." Mrs. Roach is young, and seems calm and patient.


ADDISYN started 4th grade with Mrs. Pribyl in room 4.  She also has Mrs. Tex (science) and Mrs. Dilgard / Mrs. Tortorella (reading) during subject rotations.  After the first day Addisyn told me "I smiled the whole day."  When asked about her teacher, she said "she's really nice...  She gave us a lollipop with tootsie roll in it at the end of the day... She wants us to have a "sweet" year."  What did you do today?  "I put together my journal... Got a planner...  I forgot my snack...I just had to eat 2 apples out of my lunch....that's what I do whenever I forget."  She thinks the bathroom passes are funny: boys have a toilet plunger, and girls have a toilet wiper that they have to set on their desk when they go to the restroom.  Was it a good day? "YEAH!"


MARISSA started preschool!  She is with Mrs. Batol @ Foothills UMC Preschool (Faith Academy) two days/week.  She had been looking forward to preschool for months, waiting. Back in June, she asked me, "is this the day I go to school?"  On day 1, there were NO tears at 9am drop off.  Hurray!  At noon when I picked her up she said, "I had to sit still and be quiet...for a long time."  "And I wanted you mommy, and you weren't there."   "We didn't go in the playroom."  She had expectations that weren't lived up to.  There were brief tears, then I asked if she did any artwork, and she brightened up... "Mrs. Batol painted my hand red...made handprints."

Apparently when potty times were offered, she had told the teacher she didn't want to go, so she had wet undies at noon for pick up.  I told her teacher that potty is not optional tomorrow.  She also mentioned another child took a toy train she was playing with away from her..."he didn't say anything" (as in, he just took it w/o asking).  I also found out that while the group was outside at the playground, she had slipped and fallen (no major injury), but cried a little (apparently that's when she wanted mommy). And "Mrs. Batol wouldn't let me get a drink, and I was thirsty."

I was a good listener and when we got outside, I asked, "Did you have fun?" and she said, "yeah" so we had a successful first day!

After school day 1, I took the kids to the feed store to play with baby chicks and then to Menchies.  Good thing I didn't know that the 1st day of school is popular there, but was fun to see friends and discovered the prize box there.


MOMMY has been looking forward to this day too.  Chris called it my "retirement." haha!  I enjoyed a quiet day but also enjoying the uninterrupted time to focus on things like planning GS meetings, scheduling doctor appointments, and even the small pleasure of endless scrolling down my facebook page.  My facebook post this day was:  "Feeling excited by the milestone today, but also a beautiful sense of calm peace in my quiet home."

I'm waiting for routines to settle in so I can use my extra time on Th/Fri to get stuff done without
a child at my heels, but quickly realizing that it's not as much as I thought I'd be since I work most Fridays and 9-12 at preschool is really only 2.5 hours of time for me 1 day a week.


We enjoyed celebrating Jacob's first day of Kindergarten too, on Monday, August 29.  He is at Creekside Early Learning Center (Kindergarten for all Alpine schools).  We met them at Family Fun Center after school.  I wasn't planning to get wet, but....the kids (Mike) couldn't resist the sprayers on the bumper boats!


No comments: