Sunday, April 17, 2016

March-April Family Update

This March, Marissa graduated from a crib to her toddler bed.  We made a big deal about ensuring she knows when she is allowed to get out of bed in the morning.  With minor exceptions, she did pretty well waiting for someone to come get her.  Then I put lights on a timer, so she knows to wait for the purple lights to come on...now need to work on a timer that doesn't "click" audibly when it turns on because I think it's waking her up.

Marissa also started riding an upright bike with training wheels.  She even rode a huge lap around Santee Lakes when we camped there during spring break--what strength and endurance.  She looks so grown up on it.


Using our "Spring Break Bucket List" as a guide, we filled our days strategically and had and amazing fun filled break!  Our list included painting Easter eggs, camping, library, kids making bank deposits into their own accounts, and them hosting a smoothie stand in the driveway.  The best part was just having free time to play with our toys!








Annual Easter Egg hunts--on the church lawn, at Susan & Bernie's, and in our own yard (Chris hid the egg on the beer bottle).




I had a blast this April Fools when I convinced the kids we should celebrate with a cake... I called it a "mound cake" because it looked like a giant mound of cool whip on top.  I even faked baking in the oven (beep the buttons so they thought I was cooking) because they started asking too many questions... They were skeptical, but I pulled it off.  I will never be able to do this one again--it was pretty memorable.   When we cut into it (I helped hold the knife hand over hand), the balloon popped and cool whip splattered on the kids.  Addisyn and Piper just stared flabbergasted in disbelief for a few seconds.  Marissa jumped back in shock, and got a bit upset.  But we made everyone happy by making plates of cool whip and sticking it all over their faces.  Chris videoed and chuckled at how hard *I* was cracking up at my own joke!


The girls got a new pet over spring break and we enjoyed having vacation days to spend time with and learn how to take care of their new bunny.  We had been thinking about getting a pet for a long time, but we aren't ready for a dog, even though that's what Addisyn has been asking for, so hopefully a bunny will be cuddly and easy to take care of since it has a cage.  Cali is named for her calico multi-colored spot coloring and is a super soft Mini Rex.  She is about 2 months old (so an approx Feb 1 bday).  We set the cage up in Addisyn & Piper's room to emphasize that this is THEIR pet and THEIR responsibility.





Mid-April, I got to go to Vegas with Chris for his new firm's awards banquet.  Chris was naturally modest about his award and his achievement.  It's funny because it's a bronze bull that's so heavy you practically need two hands to hold.  WCG's leader Jimmy called it the "DiModica award" in honor of the artist who created the giant Charging Bull statue on Wall Street, that this trophy is modeled after.  The highlight of the night was the fireworks we enjoyed pausing for mid-awards--the Red Rock Resort was celebrating an anniversary and the fireworks surrounding the property and over our heads was impressive!
 (Few decent pictures--Apparently, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.)

No comments: