Addisyn's Brownie Troop showing off their new green troop t-shirts and playing a team building game:
Piper's Daisy Troop learning how to twist out of the friendship circle:
Addisyn and Piper are one of four pairs of girls with a sibling in the other troop, so I deemed them "sister troops" and we did a few things together. We went caroling together at Christmas. Another was a field trip to Feeding America to learn about how they help families who don't have as many resources. We also had our end of year celebration together.
Both girls sold Girl Scout cookies this year. We had to work a little harder for each girl to hit her sales goals because there were two of them selling now. I would have been happy if each of them sold just 60 boxes (troop minimums), but they wanted to do more. We made a point of taking the wagon out to different areas after school and on weekends. It was an effort to get out there since we had to drive to other neighborhoods and frequently could only sell for an hour at a time (due to homework, baby napping, sunset/darkness, swim practice...). We found our old neighborhood (Cressy Ct.) didn't have any other scouts so we lucked out there--it took two or three trips there to do just 4 streets. It took a few days just to do our own street. We tried some new places this year too and did booth sales in front of the grocery stores. Hard on mommy, but I am proud that the girls stayed motivated and worked towards their sales goals. Addisyn and Piper teamed up to get the cool prizes--they sold 140 boxes each to get the first 4 prizes on their own, then Piper helped Addisyn reach a higher goal of 300 boxes overall to earn the duffle bag prize (after much negotiating over what other prizes Addisyn would give Piper for helping). Thank you also to Grandma Joyce and Papa Dave for promoting OTM (Operation Thin Mint) in your circle of friends--that really helped! And thanks to Grammy Susan who helped the girls make a cute little thank you note they signed, which we made copies of then handed/mailed/emailed to their customers for each purchase.
Picture we took for marketing (email sales):
Celebrating the 40th birthday of the Samoas cookie this year--we got to give out a few free boxes. (I made the girls share and take turns wearing this shirt.)
I think my big accomplishment as a leader this year was getting the Brownie girls camping. It was a push to get myself "camp trained", practice sleepovers scheduled, and even getting moms mentally ready, but I am so glad I did because GS camp was memorable.
We hosted the first Brownie sleepover in our living room with 9 girls and 2 moms--huge thanks to Chris for operating the fire pit for S'mores and steering clear of the living room that night. This was good practice for girls in group sleep atmosphere, but also for me as a practice to know what to expect as a leader when we go to the cabins. I organized the girls with Kapers for prepping dinner, cleaning up, and breakfast; I comforted tears, calmed anxious feelings, helped the sleepless sleep, but couldn't stop the snoring. Addisyn also got to attend the second sleepover hosted at another home which I did not attend so that she could experience the event like the other girls without her mom.
S'mores in our backyard:
Sleepover in our living room: (I had to explain to Addisyn that she couldn't sleep in her own bed)
Girls posing with our new troop banner. The unicorn is on their troop crest, and represents beauty and courage.
I feel good knowing that the other parents trust me to watch over their daughter. It makes me proud.








No comments:
Post a Comment