Friday, January 31, 2014

Piper turned FIVE!

Happy 5th Birthday Piper! 

On Thursday we celebrated with dinner at BJ's on her real birthday with us and Grandma Joyce, Papa Dave, Great Grandma Ann, and Grandpa Sal. 

Then on Saturday, she got her Fishy Party.  We talked about the theme way back last summer when we were planning Addisyn's birthday, and even though she tried to stray from the idea a few times (with some help from daddy *friendly grr!*), I spun her and we kept the fishy theme.  Invitations to her preschool friends went out before winter vacation, and a December order from Oriental Express kept me on top of things.  I think it turned out pretty cute.  Stacy made a really cute fish bowl cake and I was proud of my blue jello "aquarium" snacks.  Addisyn and Piper looked forward to the party when they helped prep fishy toothpicks, toothpick sails for the apple-boats, sorted colored goldfish crackers, and put candy fish in ice for the blue gatorade drink.   The kids played fishing with paperclip-nosed paper fish and a magnet, blindfolded stick-the-fish on the poster-sized fishbowl, and clean zippy bag finger-painting.  After I sorted out the colors in a giant Pepperidge Farms Goldfish box, the kids got to scoop them into their own little "fishbowl" (disposable tupperware) to put in their party favor bag.  We wanted to incorporate the pond into the theme, but for safety, instead we bought some real goldfish and put them in a fishbowl as a centerpiece on the back patio, but by the time the party started, we had already had to fish out several that were floating sideways. 
 



STATS:
Piper stands at 44" tall and weighs 40.5 lbs on her birthday day.  That puts her at 78%ile for height and 55%ile for weight, and means she grew 3.75" and 4.5 lbs this year.  She grew more this year (4-5 yrs) than last year (3-4 yrs).  *Qualifier on weight:  I don't know how, but ever since she was a baby, I can't seem to get an accurate weigh-in on her...it seems her weight fluctuates way more than I think it could really be.   We weighed her at 42 lbs in Nov. and she was 42 lbs at the doctors this week (which would put her at 60-65%ile), so at least we know she's in a good range.



SKILLS:
-really enjoying doing things herself...
-likes to brush her own hair
-after her birthday-this month, figured out tying her own shoes. 
-take out the trash, bring up the big trash cans up the driveway,
-help empty the dishwasher and laundry (for star tickets of course)
-can carry Marissa without Marissa crying
-can write her name and other words if you help remind her of some of the letter shapes

PERSONALITY:
-no volume control!
-still gets exhausted after a busy or long day, sometimes the crankies start by 2pm pick up from school
-very friendly with other children--makes friends at the playground
-can't wait for Kindergarten ("Is the "next day" the day I go to Kindergarten?")
-likes to annoy her big sister, just because she can
-loves to sing
 

No comments: