Sunday, May 26, 2013
STAR TICKETS!
During Spring Break, I got worn out with the girls at home all day every day and decided we needed a new behavior system in our house. Thirty minutes later, I had printed and cut out STAR TICKETS! I briefly explained to the girls how to earn them, and we were off! I was giving out stars for all kinds of things, providing positive reinforcement for the things they could do themselves but resist, and what I called "healthy and helpful" choices.
By now we've been doing star tickets for about two months. I don't know how long we'll continue (it does get hard to keep it up at times) and it is a fluid, adapting system, but I hope to continue it at least through summer break.
They were so excited to earn tickets, that they started getting dressed quickly, brushing teeth on their own, staying in bed at bedtime, were careful not to spill their milk at dinner, and got buckled in their carseats without reminding. I also gave them tickets for being especially friendly, sharing nicely, and keeping their room and desks tidy. The house was clean, I was giving out tickets left and right, and it was FUN.
Not only did tickets make the girls want to do things, it keep me on the ball to recognize and focus on the GOOD things. I resisted taking tickets away for bad behavior, rather continued my 5-4-3-2-1 countdown and warning system, taking a toy/prized possession away if they are uncooperative or not listening.
Tickets can be redeemed for privileges.
5 tickets = earn a toy back
5 tickets = a TV show/movie (we have otherwise eliminated school day TV shows, which used to be a given)
3 tickets = computer or ipad time
3 tickets = "large" candy (like a tootsie pop, fun size candy, or large popsicle)
2 tickets = a small candy (kid size fruit popsicle, a mini size candy, a couple jelly beans--relevant after Easter egg hunts)
Things really calmed down around our home. Rather than me popping veins in my forehead in frustration (and them getting equally upset), I can calmly countdown 5-4-3-2-1 and calmly select a toy to take if they don't behave. It is amazing that they will also calmly let me take a toy (okay, often but not always so calm), knowing that they can "buy" it back the next day with 5 tickets.
The girls are learning to prioritize what privileges to spend their tickets on. If she has 6 tickets, she might decide not to buy a toy back yet, because that would mean she can't buy a popsicle. Or she will ask to do something helpful to earn more--like windexing mirrors or helping put clean dishes away.
Each week on Thursday (simply chosen that day because that's the day of the week we started on), they can count their tickets and "cash out" or choose to save them. If they cash out, 10 tickets = $1, which goes in their "money tank" and can be spent on a future shopping trip with mommy. I have taken them to the school/craft aisle at Target and to Michael's to spend a few dollars.
The first month, Addisyn's pocket would be sparce and Piper's would be full because Addisyn would spend them faster, but now it's more even, and this week you can see in the picture Piper is holding the only two she has while Addisyn's is now full.
...and last night they earned three more each....and the game continues...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment