They say lying "means that they have developed "executive function" - the ability to invent a convincing lie by keeping the truth at the back of their mind." Also, "Lying involves multiple brain processes, such as integrating sources of information and manipulating the data to their advantage." "It is linked to the development of brain regions that allow “executive functioning” and use higher order thinking and reasoning."
So how smart are my children?
I'd like to think they are brilliant. I think the higher-order thinking applies to both "story-telling" and "lies" (a fine distinction at times). These girls like to play pretend a lot, which is good cognitive function.
We've had the classic "What are you doing?" "nothing" response (when in fact they were busy coloring on the walls).
What else have they said?
ADDISYN:
"I ate all my dinner." (What she really did: turned her plate upside down with the food hiding under it.)
"I don't have the remote" (This was when I asked for it to turn the TV off, which she did not want to happen, of course. It was in her hand under the couch pillow.)
"I just went potty." (My reply: "Go pee-pee for REAL." What she did: walked in the bathroom and closed the door for about 20 seconds, then came back out.)
Then, "I went potty!" (What she really did: went in and stood in front of the toilet, told me to leave because she needed privacy, unzipped/rezipped her jammies, flushed, and came out. I know, because I stood there listening, TRYING to trust her.)
"I didn't have any pee-pee." (This is when she came out of the bathroom after I listened to her tinkle in the toilet.)
This one is more "story-telling" because she smiled when she said it... after tearing up a paper towel into pieces right in front of me, she set the mess on the table and said, "Look what Piper did."
PIPER:
"I don't have it." (While holding her sister's toy behind her back.)
"I have to go potty." (This was conveniently at bedtime after we already finished our bedtime routines.)
I love my SMART kids!
Here are some more pictures of them--from our March day-trip to Disneyland.

No comments:
Post a Comment