Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Camping in the desert

We had a good weekend at the desert. We drove out Friday night (including 2-3 off-ramp pull-over-and-pee stops for Addisyn), and drove home Sunday in the rain, fog, and a bit of snow.

As I was prepping the trailer on Wednesday, Addisyn learned that we were going and couldn't stop talking about camping for 2 whole days. Then when we got there Friday night, she didn't want to sleep (neither did Piper), woke up in the middle of the night (2am) saying "wake up" "camping" and tried to get out of bed, then woke up an hour earlier than normal (oh yes, Piper got woken up too, both times!). Naps came early Saturday, but they had a great time playing in the sand. We brought the "playground" (climbing/slide toy pictured) and that was good times with Papa Dave, and cousin Justin and his toy monster trucks. Chris cruised Piper around our camp circle in the buggy and she (and he!) loved it (Addisyn refused). Cousin Katelyn was also a good help entertaining the girls, as were Aunt Stacy and Grandma Joyce. Addisyn can't wait to take the "huck" (truck) & "tailer" (trailer) through the "mountains" to "camping th desert" again.


Piper update:
Piper only gets more and more stable on her feet and it seems like she's running, she's so quick. We discovered 2 molars on top had grown in when we weren't looking last week, and so now she has 10 teeth total. I've been unsuccessful so far at getting Piper to learn hand signs but she hangs on the highchair when she's hungry and throws food or tears off her bib when she's all done. I think she said "a da" today for all done. She understands a lot of words because she responds in action to our requests--like eyes lighting up when asked if she wants to eat a banana (she LOVES bananas), or turning to take an object to someone when asked. In addition to "mama" I think Piper also calls Chris "da" and has said "h da" (Hi dad) a couple of times when he comes home.

Addisyn update:
Addisyn has been singing daily, the 3 songs she knows--ABC's, the "cake song" (a.k.a. Happy Birthday), and Rain Rain go away. She is talking all the time now and repeating and learning all kinds of things! I tell her about all kinds of stuff we see and read, and I don't try to dumb-down difficult words, so she knows and says big words like telescope and iguana too. She also knows daddy is a "financial planner", Uncle Mike is a "sheriff", and mommy is a "teacher". Addisyn had been negotiating each day for how many TV shows she gets to watch, but then I turned TV into a reward for being good about brushing teeth at night. After 3 of 4 nights losing TV privileges, I think she finally caught on and did a great job opening her mouth for me last night.


************NEXT DAY EDIT************
OMG I can't believe I forgot to mention the POOP incident while camping! Mental block? maybe. Thanks mom for reminding me ;-P

I don't think I'll ever put the girls down for a nap without pants on over the diaper because Addisyn decided to take it off... It's naptime, so the adults are hanging out outside the trailer and Addisyn and Piper are in their beds inside the trailer. I hear a noise through the window, so I go in to check, and there's Addisyn standing by the trash can with a dirty diaper and a dirty baby wipe with BROWN smeared up and down both legs. After a frozen moment of shock we start cleaning up and figuring out what happened... Apparently Addisyn wanted to wear panties, so she got out of her tent bed and changed herself into panties which she then pooped in, took them off and tried to put the poop in the since removed diaper, then got out some baby wipes and tried to clean herself up--all the while getting poop all over her shirt, the changing pad area, the clothes sitting out, the trailer couch, the outside of the wipes pkg, the trash can, and smeared on her hands and legs. Gotta give the girl credit for trying to take care of things herself!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Now how come the big camping memory...Addisyn getting up from her nap and taking her diaper off prior to making the "big one" didn't make the blog. All the efforts (abet unsuccessful) of cleaning herself should have been worth a memory or two. Or did mommy & daddy have a mental block on the trailer cleaning?

LOL