Our story began in the summer of 2000 when Chris and I went on our "not-a-date" to the Old Spaghetti Factory and realized that we enjoyed each others company. Chris came to my door and said "Karen?" with a question mark because he had to confirm it was me with the long hair, instead of short like he remembered me from high school. (He has since told me I can never cut it short again--he likes the long hair too much.) He took me jetskiing and won me over. That year Chris had just passed his CFP exam, and I decided to quit my office job and work on my teaching credential. In 2001 Chris moved his financial planning practice to Metlife. In spring 2002 we were engaged (somehow I remember it as being much longer before that f i n a l l y happened). I finished my student teaching in fall 2002 and planned the wedding while subbing spring semester 2003.On Saturday, May 3, 2003 Chris and Karen were MARRIED at St. Martin of Tours Church in La Mesa, the church Karen was raised in.
Karen & Chris
Our Wedding Party, at St. Martin's Church
The Rand Family
Mr. & Mrs. Rand
Karen and niece Katelyn
Mike's wedding toastIt rained the morning of our wedding day, which I'm told is good luck! It stopped right in time for the Hummer limo to pick us up and head to the church. The intense moment during the ceremony was getting the unity candle lit--our glass oil candle wasn't working, so we borrowed the church's wax candle and it wasn't lighting...the was dripping from our individual candles was drowning out the wick on the center candle...but we figured it out and there was a unanimous sigh of relief and happy laughter from everyone when we got it lit: "overcoming obstacles" someone said. Outside, the overcast sky made for great picture taking so we didn't have to squint. Chris' Grandma Grace made it to San Diego from New Hampshire for the wedding. The reception was fun, although I'm glad I never saw the butt-slapping, M&M throwing, and vomiting that took place. We liked the hearts drawn with table butter on the elevator mirrors and our hotel room. We moved Karen into Chris' house (Dixie Drive) the next day and left for our honeymoon the day after that. We stayed in Cancun and then took a Caribbean cruise.
Married life:
In 2004, we purchased our first home together and did some serious work on it inside and out. From 2004-2006 we kept busy enjoying our freedom pre-children. We vacationed in Europe and the Caribbean in the summers, enjoyed our boat at the river, and frequently visited the desert in the winter season.
This post is pre-dated to our Wedding date and time.
*This blog was actually written in retrospect, for the purposes of archiving to a book.
Redoing the driveway at 1544 Cressy Court, 2005
Aug. 2006 Finding our way in Sweden
Oct. 2005 trip to New Hampshire with family
July 2005 Caribbean Cruise
No comments:
Post a Comment