As mom with a teaching background, even I had a hard time with the structure of the 3rd grade curriculum. I didn't know how to redirect Addisyn because often I didn't know the purpose (end outcome goal) of various assignments. The focus this year was child responsibility, so as parent, I felt excluded; I am trying to come to terms with the fact that this is HER education, and even as parent, I'm not going to know everything that's going on. It might be frustrating when my 8 year old doesn't know what to do when the HW says "study", but the good thing is she will start learning from her own experiences, and eventually that makes MY parenting job easier.
Addisyn's conceptual knowledge in MATH is good, she says "fractions are easy," yet she has yet to memorize all her mulitiplication table. She can actually do a decent job on her multiplication when she practices--we did extra practice for a few weeks to catch her up, and she did well on the following test, but then when the extra stopped, she reverted back to empty spaces on the test problems. I don't know if she is slow at recall, trying to do it all by adding, or if she flat doesn't know them because it's more that they are left blank, rather than a wrong answer.
| Communicative Property |
| Distributive Property |
| Comparing Fractions |
| Geometry Flip book |
Addisyn's WRITING rubric scores are improving. Her narratives are getting more details and I'm encouraging her to use more feeling words too. Her handwriting is still generally messy unless she is specifically trying to be neat.
Writing sample from class notes in science (on organic farming):
Writing sample--story telling narrative (about a trip to Sea World):
Addisyn worked on publishing this book for a long time (she wanted to learn about dogs because she wanted us to get a pet):
In READING, Addisyn has good flow and comprehension. She enjoyed reading Charlotte's Web with her class, and really got into the characters. Like many kids, she likes to read for relaxation, but not when she has to hustle, and not the worksheets for reading. Her favorite books for personal enjoyment are the Rainbow Magic Fairies series and read a lot of The Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
| Wilbur and Charlotte from Charlotte's Web |
By the end of the year, her REPORT CARD looked good. As parents, we were a bit concerned about her progress, especially after a notice sent home in January stating she was behind in math, but with some intense focus on homework time, she got caught up. I fear she wants to rely on structure to keep her on track rather than be motivated by the value of knowledge. On the other hand, we were pleased with the Raven's Test results. This test is actually being phased out as their school is steering away from traditional GATE classifications, but it tests more abstract non-verbal reasoning as an IQ (intelligence) test, and she did really well on it.
| Mid-year notice home (we had to call the teacher to find out what the comments meant) |
| Notice of Raven's Test results (we had to use Google to figure out what the test was) |
Addisyn enjoyed having Mrs. Torre for a teacher. "Mrs. Torre is really nice and gives us hints on our homework." Mrs. Torre seemed to go over instructions and/or model an example on the assignments that go home so that was a big help. She has many years of experience and her calm classroom demeanor was a good fit for Addisyn's personality.
Overall, third grade is "so hard" and "next year's going to be even harder," Addisyn says, "There's going to be more homework." "I hate HW"
| Last Day of School -- ready for 4th grade |

No comments:
Post a Comment