For new year's eve, we kept all the kids up to midnight at our friends the Cooper's. We ate, played games, and the kids had a dance party. Addisyn and Piper fell asleep in the car on the way home, but Marissa was a little party girl, staying awake the whole way home--nearly 1am!
This week last year we were at the beach, but this year brought a quick storm to the mountains so on New Year's Day (since it was a holiday and daddy was home), we (and half the county) drove 8 East to the mountains for a glimpse of the white stuff. The girls had been begging to go to the snow again (it had been 2 years since we saw it last) and they brought the snow sleds they got for Christmas. We got lucky to find parking at a viewpoint of Sunrise Hwy. and some clean snow. Marissa couldn't stop eating it, and then had to stick her hands in our jackets to warm up.
I decided that my new year's resolution is to "remember that a new year is just a reminder that we can choose to change our lives/routines, and make new choices at ANY time in our life. We don't have to wait or put up with something we don't like because we feel stuck. If something is not working, I can change it. I am happy to feel in control of my life......even when I have to change the family rules/way I parent mid-day b/c apparently my children don't think they have to listen to me......I can fix that!" (Quoting myself from my facebook post--I don't remember what they did that particular day, but not listening to me is not okay!)
The kids are enjoying their 3 week winter vacation, and it was my first opportunity to put my resolution in play. Vacations are often inspiration for mommy to invoke new rules and procedures at home (that much *together* time gives lots of time for conflicts). After so much time being relaxed about bedtime and sleeping in in the mornings, I realized we'd need to figure out a better way to transition to the upcoming school days routine. I made a chart the girls can follow with all the things they need to do to get ready for bed, so they can start being responsible for getting themselves ready rather than waiting for me to tell them what to do.









No comments:
Post a Comment